The Mary Landry Collection
In 2014 the family of Mary Landry donated a collection of photographic portraits to the Georgeville Historical Society. The collection comprised approximately 100 photos of local villagers, many of which have been on permanent display at the Murray Memorial Centre for years.
Mary Landry (1930-2014) hails from an old Sherbrooke family where she was initially raised before the family relocated to Arvida. Mary studied English at McGill, receiving her B.A. degree in 1950. Her association with McGill continued throughout her life, where she took undergraduate courses in music and art history during the 1980s as well as participating in the McGill Community for Lifelong Learning. She was also a member of the university’s choral society as well as the Island City Singers.
Shortly after graduating from McGill, Mary married Peter Landry, a future professor of the university. Later on, when Peter joined many of his professional colleagues in and about the village of Georgeville, the couple became seasonal residents of the Townships’ community.
It was about this time that Mary developed her passion for photography. She attended various workshops and studied under three Montreal area tutors. She developed her photographic skills in association with her love of people, nature and travel. Mary went on to exhibit her photographs in Montreal and the Eastern Townships.
Her greatest artistic achievement is associated with the village of Georgeville’s bicentennial celebrations in 1997. What started out as a project for the event evolved into a perpetual undertaking. Entitled the ‘Faces of Georgeville’, Mary described it as “an ongoing project to create a visual record of the longtime residents of the village… all the people who have made a significant contribution to the lasting development of this Eastern Townships community.”
What follows is a sampling of the ‘Faces of Georgeville’ collection donated to the Society.
Bachelder’s garage operated in the heart of Georgeville. Located next to the current Studio Georgeville building, the garage serviced the village for many decades during the 1900s.
The garage’s origins date back to 1925 when Howard Bachelder started his business on the Magoon Point Road, in the southern sector of the community. Two years following his marriage to Georgia Packard, Howard rented the former United Church parsonage, known as the ‘Marsh House’.
Shortly thereafter, in 1927, he found a more central and permanent location for his garage when he acquired the Albert Bullock house on what is now Carré Copp. The building was retained as a residence and a garage built in the space between it and the adjoining store. The following spring, gas pumps were added which gave the operation the full appearance of a service station. From the beginning, the garage sported the Shell brand of gasoline and oil related products.
As the years passed, Howard eventually became less able to manage the operation. His son Emerson subsequently took over and eventually owned and managed the garage.
Howard died in 1974 and shortly thereafter Emerson faced his own health challenges, forcing the sale of the garage in 1985. Its sale and subsequent closure marked the end of 70 years of service provided by the Bachelder family to the population of Georgeville. The long run of the operation is evidence to the friendly disposition and natural mechanical abilities of both father and son.
Below is a photo essay of images relating to the garage over the years.
Also, please refer to the featured artifact on the Home Page for information on a metal accounts register maintained at the garage.